Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Ongoing Saga Of The Rhoid Rage - The Colonoscopy Prep

OK, so I did the unthinkable - I listened to the gastro surgeon, started on the Metamusil, and scheduled the dreaded colonoscopy.

A couple of things you should know - the surgeon was correct. The rhoids (that's hemorhoids) have responded to increased fiber intake (see my last few posts) and are slowly shrinking. The pain has subsided. But I'm headed for a colonoscopy in a few days. Oh Joy!

Just as an aside, I have a family history of colon cancer. A few years after my father died of liver cancer (which started as colon cancer), I had my first procedure. That was 12 years ago. At the time, the doc found a polyp and instructed me to have another procedure in 5 years. I procrastinated, citing the high cost (at the time, not covered by insurance).

Now that I have Medicare, the cost factor has disappeared. Let me tell you, I'm still wishing I did not have to do this. But now, I have no choice if I want to eliminate the rhoids.

The Prep Is Worse Than The Last Time (Mostly)
In 12 years, the restrictions have increased when it comes to food - no nuts, popcorn, supplements, aspirin for a week before the day of the procedure.

I still have to drink a lot of salt water (to the tune of $75 for the script). 

But, this doctor allows (somewhat) normal eating up to 21 hours before the colonoscopy. 

The instructions cover several pages and were explained in great detail by the doctor's staff.

The Next Few Days
Today is the last day of regular meals and tomorrow is the day before the procedure. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment